We project our own reading, our own intentions and desires through the images we collect and we read the landscape according to our circumstances. My practice plays with the postcard and our desire to capture the lost past, lost desire. Loosened from authorial control, loitering, wandering, daydreaming, images beckon us into their vacated centre. Placed within the politics of the reproduction, the photographer disappearing, the postcard becomes an anticipatory space, expendable, and revealing something about the viewer.
My critical-documentarist practice, while not narrative in primary intent or purpose, nevertheless records the landscape, documenting real events in real places while, crucially, offering a spatiality not primarily conducive to narrative. The videos, photographs, drawings, and video installations in my art practice are primarily documenting the landscape, to suggest encounters with the real and material in the world. I draw on diaristic practices and my main field of reference, experimental (structural) film to productively negotiate site(s) and acknowledge the political structuring within the contexts of landscape and image space.
CV & Education
James Lingwood explains: ‘we learn to interpret the conversations associated with photography, cinema, painting, street signs and so on,’ and our knowledge of these systems ’lead us to believe that the world is a fixed and orderly place’ (in Kester, Rachel Whitread’s House, 1995).
Currently I move between London and Toronto; my work is held at the Eagle Gallery, Farringdon, London. I studied painting at OCA(DU) and in then Florence, Italy. Later, I moved to London and studied printmaking and painting at The Slade School of Fine Art. I exhibited in London for many years. Now as a PhD candidate at RCA, I am (re)considering the landscape and the nature of site and conversations associated with media in the context of dispersal and critical-documentartist art practice. I use video and other media within my practice-based research; my main field of reference is experimental(structural) film. My recent papers, on the subjects of the monument in art practice and daydreaming, and the blog as a frame, can be found in researchonline.rca.ac.uk. Links to my published writing can also be found on my website kmbosy.com. Currently I am a founding editor on a team developing a new online academic research journal supporting artistic and design research. This new online experimental platform itinerant-space is supported by the School of Communication at RCA and was launched in 2021. As well as disseminating research, itinerant-space presents an attractive educational tool, allowing students to gain experience in publishing.
Current academic roles
PhD candidate (part-time) at the Royal College of Art, London, England, 2016 – 2024. My research title is, Inside here: Dispersal as a strategy in landscape based critical-documentarist art practice Keywords: space, video, landscape, structural film, experimental film
Research project team member developing a third (digital) book, this research in inclusive design and practices in digital humanities, researching hypermedia languages, information and communication technologies, is currently applying for funding.
Founding Editor on a new online academic research journal at RCA. itinernant.space is an experimental platform launched in 2021 and supporting research practice in Art and Design research. 2020 ongoing. As well as disseminating research, itinerant-space supports PGR students who wish to gain experience in publishing.
Peer Review member for Estudos em Design, academic research journal published in Brazil. 2020 ongoing.
Peer Review Program Committee role for EVA London Conference. 2020 ongoing.
PhD Candidate at the Royal College of Art, London, part-time, 2016 – 2024
HDip Painting and printmaking, Slade School of Fine Art, London, 1988.
Graduate studies, Painting, OCA Studio, Florence, Italy, 1984.
AOCA Diploma, Ontario College of Art, Fine Art, Painting, Toronto, 1983.
Selected Recent Exhibitions
• Without Boundaries screened my videos from private series (2022) and exhibited my graphite drawings of studio tools on mylar and tape, at White City Campus, RCA in spring 2022. • Itinerant space screens my vault series video online (published 2020) and carries my research exploration Scanning the aerial view: legitimate and illegitimate information on photogrammetry using video ‘postcards’ (published 2022).
• Another Land, exhibited my installation, enclosed line. This was an exhibition and events programme aiming to generate discussion and compare methods, knowledge and communication in the visualisation of place. This exhibition was supported by the London Doctoral Design Centre (LDoC), and held at Kingston School of Art, the Stanley Picker Gallery and Kingston Museum, London in 2019.
•I Scared My Computer, screened my video water drawing (2019) in the form of a video installation on retro-style monitors, during Know Your Home, a cross campus programme of exhibitions and events at RCA, London, 2019.
• Intentions: Conversations, Experiences and Knowledge, screened videos from vault series and a collaborative sound installation Script, while also including my zine what is public space? This exhibition developed through conversations generating ideas and created an opportunity for testing practice-based research. White City, London. 2017.
Catalogue ISBN 978-1-910642-30-6.
• 31C, ASC Gallery, exhibited Shelter, a video installation developed in a collaboration. This collaboration developed Exchange Project, and Script exhibited in Intentions (above) 2017. • Thinking Through Sound included ‘are we recording now?’ intervention into the relationality of the space of the museum using sound for the Design Museum’s opening weekend. Located in an alcove overlooking the shop, this sound piece was placed amongst the museum’s objects, albeit ones for sale, London, 2016.
• Of Improvisation, a pop-up exhibition at Apiary Studios, London, 2015, launched Inside here by kmbosy (Android and iOS). This artwork using a native smartphone app and Gps has a linked online artwork questioning understandings of site and place-centricity www.kmbosy.com/blog. • 2021 Soft-launch event for itinerant-space, in my role as editor on new academic research journal, during the Royal Collage of Art’s Research Biennale and Online Events Programme.
• 2020 vault, text, medium format photograph, PROVA, Journal 5, Correspondence research group, School of Arts and Humanities, RCA, London. http://www.provarca.com/prova- journal-2/prova-5/
Selected Presentations and links to published papers
2021 Soft-launch event for itinerant-space, in my role as editor on new academic research journal, during the Royal Collage of Art’s Research Biennale and Online Events Programme.
2020 vault, text, medium format photograph, PROVA, Journal 5, Correspondence research group, School of Arts and Humanities, RCA, London. http://www.provarca.com/prova- journal-2/prova-5/
2019 Daydreaming space and the digital monument, paper published by Estudos em Design https:/estudosemdesign.emnuvens.com.br/design https://researchonline.rca.ac.uk/44
2019 Signs of expression, shared paper presented at CIDI, Information Design Inter- national Conference in Brazil, published by InfoDesign Journal. https://researchonline.rca. ac.uk/1949/
2019 Multiple means of expression made available by digital media, shared paper pub- lished in EVA London 2019 conference proceedings. ISBN 978-1-78017-522-5.
2019 Conference Chair, CONGIC (Student National Conference of Information Design), Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
2017 Film 7, we all look at the same sky, Intentions: Conversations, Experiences and Knowledge, RCA, catalogue cover image and research abstract. ISBN 978-1-910642-30-6.
Webinars and Workshops
• 2022 Open studio event, School of Communication, RCA, this necessarily online event showcased itinerant-space. Following the editorial team’s presentations on this new online research journal, researchers from across RCA were invited to join the ensuing lively conversa- tion generating ideas, and to join in on this collaborative project.
• 2020 webinar, Media languages: video practices, Encontro em Design Contemporaneo, LabDesign Contemporaneo, Universidade Estadual Paulista Campus Bauru, Brazil.
• 2020 Delay, workshop on the subject of research keywords and itinerant-space, during Research Group, Method of Intent, at School of Communication, RCA.
• 2020 – 2018 listed below, (RSST) Research Student Pre-Sessional talks, a series of pres- entations & workshops, organized by English for Academic Purposes, Royal College of Art.
• 2020 Cybernetics and overtrust in the robotic age, webinar and panel discussion (RSST), Week 6, RCA, London.
• 2019 The ad hoc and the organized in public space, The Commemorative Document and the Image Bankand Participation_Negotiation_Persuasion, on themes of Curatorial, Inspirations and In uences, and Movements and Trends during RSST a series of presentations & workshops, Royal College of Art. Workshop images can be found on http://www.kmbosy.com/blog /
• 2019 What is Public Space? Trajectories II exhibition & events, Waterman’s Art Centre. • 2018 What is Public Space? Public Space & Exchange and Public Space & The Mani- festo, on themes of Curatorial, Inspirations and In uences, and Movements and Trends for RSST research student presentations and workshops, organized by English for Academic Purposes, Royal College of Art. http://www.kmbosy.com/blog/image-bank/
• 2017 Research summer school workshop event, using my zine What is public space?
to explore relationality of space and place, and the space of the monument. Research Summer School, School of Communication, Battersea Campus, Royal College of Art, London. Images at: http://www.kmbosy.com/blog/insidehere/
Selected Past Exhibitions (on request)